I think Snap Previews were a good idea earlier but now for me it has just started getting irritating and for my blog I have switched it off.
If you got a fingerprint reader on your machine and are running Vista then think twice before installing SP1! About 7-8 months ago I got a new tablet (Lenovo X61) which is a pretty sweet machine with Vista pre-installed and all was well until I installed SP1 and then the thing won't even boot.
I tried to get into safe mode but no luck; I tried repairing – but no luck. I got in the repair console and tried to manually "fix" the MBR, but not luck. In the end I was screwed – royally – especially as I did not have a backup. I did have my machine being backed up by WHS which is what I was hoping would save me (more on that later).
In the end I had to do a fresh install of Vista (I choose to use a slipstream version of Vista with SP1 already on it) and then install all the relevant Lenovo specific apps that I needed. Of course getting all the other dev apps and getting the data back on it was
So, if you are running Vista and are thinking of SP1 here are the steps I would suggest you do:
- Make sure you got loads of time – don't do this if you got a critical deadline the next day for which you need to use this machine.
- Backup your data
- Check your backup!
- In case you do need to do a fresh install Keep all relevant discs/iso's at hand – don't forget the drivers!
- Install the latest drivers for your fingerprint reader (check both the vendors and the manufacturers site).
- Install SP1 (while praying)
I must say that no other machine has a fingerprint reader and I did not have any issues installing SP1 on any of those. Also this post is specific for x32; I do not have x64 running anymore so can't say how that will behave.
Wow! What a week – so much talk of the next version of Windows code-named "7". Of course the multi-touch (see video below) is what everyone is talking about. Now, this is cool because it is the evolution of the Surface which is scaled down to a screen.
If you have not seen a Surface – it is quite big and works with five infrared cameras which picks up the gestures and then knows what to do with it (more on Surface at another time).
But in addition to multi-touch we also know there is no new kernel for Windows 7, instead Microsoft is refining the existing kernel. So if you were betting on WinMin (which BTW is only 25 mb!) being there then forget it. Windows 7, will ship around three years after Vista shipped – in other words we should see it sometime next year.
Of course you have got to have screen shots – there has been a lot of speculation if they are genuine or fake, but they sure do look cool. Check out the top left and right corners of the screen shot above and the way the task bar is layed out – nice! I can't wait to get the first drop of this and see how it pans out! Given this is build on top of Vista hopefully we won't have too many issues with drivers making early adoption of this more painless compared to Vista.
Windows 7 first demo shown at D6:
I am thinking of getting the HTC Diamond. If you are interested in its features then check out these guys who have had it and been using it for a week and have been posting a daily video on what works and what does not.
Please be advised that there are NEW RULES and regulations implemented to raise the efficiency of the firm.
It is advised that you come to work driving a car according to your salary.
- If we see you driving a Honda, we assume you are doing well financially and therefore you do not need a raise.
- If you drive a 10 year old car or use public transportation, we assume you must have lots of savings therefore you do not need a raise.
- If you drive a pickup, you are right where you need to be and therefore you do not need a raise.
Each employee will receive 52 annual leave days a year they are called Sunday.
- Skinny people get 30 minutes for lunch as they need to eat more so that they can look healthy.
- Normal size people get 15 minutes for lunch to get a balanced meal to maintain their average figure.
- Fat people get 5 minutes for lunch, because that's all the time needed to drink a slim fast and take diet pill.
We will no longer accept a doctor medical certificate as proof of sickness. If you are able to go to the doctor, you are able to come to work.
Entirely too much time is being spent in the toilets
- There is now a strict 3-minute time limit in the cubicles. At the end of three minutes, an alarm will sound, the toilet paper roll will retract, the door will open and a picture will be taken.
- After your second offence, your picture will be posted on the company bulletin board under the "chronic offenders" category.
- Subsequent pictures will be sold at public auctions to raise money to pay your salary.
As long as you are an employee here, you need all your organs. You should not consider removing anything. We hired you intact. To have something removed constitutes a breach of employment.
All personal Internet usage will be recorded and charges will be deducted from your bonus (if any) and if we decide not to give you any, charges will be deducted from your salary. (Note: $ 5 Per Minute As We Have 4MB connection). Just for the record. 73% of the staff will not be entitled to any salary for the next 3 months as their Internet charges have exceeded their 3 months salary.
Thank you for your loyalty to our company. We are here to provide a positive employment experience.
Therefore, all questions, comments, concerns, complaints, frustrations, irritations, aggravations, insinuations, allegations, accusations, contemplation, consternation and input should be directed elsewhere.
Macbook Air vs. Lenovo Ultraportal